Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Heading back to work...

After volunteering, rethinking, analyzing and coming to terms, I am finally heading back to work. My position is only 70% at the moment with the hope of making it 100%. I am excited for a new challenge and to work in a place where my talents seem to be truly appreciated. My new bosses are very excited to have me. That can, of course, change, but its a new direction, a new set of challenges and I believe a good direction. A direction that will hopefully be more fulfilling.


My time off is officially over, but I am glad for it. I got to read a lot, do yoga, cook more, tend to a winter garden and be more relaxed. I have ticked off the wedding items: venue, stationary (DIY), photographer, website, registries and dress. This way its all out of the way and I can focus on work for awhile and not stress about wedding details.

Every so often I like to go over some books I have read and enjoyed, so here goes:

(1) MUST READ: Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese. This book is stunning. It is a reminder of human suffering and triumph. The descriptions are breathtaking at times and heart wrenching at others. You will fall in love with his characters and will not be able to put it down. This one goes on my Top 25 of all times or maybe 50, but its up there.

(2) Great beach read (or as I like to call them, candy reads): the Stieg Larrson trilogy (Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.) Fun, fun, fun.

(3) Luis Alberto Urrea, The Humingbird's Daughter and Into the Beautiful North. Both take place in Mexico. The first has elements of magical realism that is common in Mexican fiction. Not as good as Rain of Gold, but certainly worth reading. Urrea did a lot of work in the border camps and has another book that I am interested to read called The Devil's Highway that chronicle his work. Into the Beautiful North only touches on life along the border and crossing the border. Its more comical and heroic.

(4) The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. I loved The World Without End, which is actually the second book, but I read them backwards. Every time a character seems to get ahead and his/her life is on track, something always happens that sends them reeling back. Its a bit formulaic, but you cannot help wanting more and rooting for the downfall of the villains and the triumph of the heroes.

(5) Bad Things Happen, A Reliable Wife and Fifty-Grand. More candy reads, decent, nothing memorable, but fun nonetheless.

My next read may either be The Great Room of a Roberto Bolano book I have in Spanish.

1 Comments:

At 11:40 AM, Blogger Arvay said...

I think it's awesome that you took deliberate steps toward making your life what you want. I think there are two kinds of people--those who happen to life, and those to whom life happens. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home